Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Acute Dress

Woo, am I ever excited to share this! This is one dress that I am really proud of.

I've had this cut of blue and white inverted fabric laying around forever, never knowing what to make with it. I brought it out one day and was bouncing ideas off my mom, when it came to me to do triangles!

This dress is made entirely without pattern, and is cut and draped off my measurements. 

I started by measuring my waist, and made a triangle pattern piece off those numbers. There are eight triangles all around. At first, I didn't take into account the fact that hips > waist, and had to add on a few triangles. I'm super pleased about how the hip pleats came out.

After doing the skirt, I worked on the bodice. The two white straps on the center front are each half of a skirt triangle, flipped the other way. 

My favorite detail of the dress is how the straps finish into the center back triangle.

Part of the reason I love this so much is because I love math and I love sewing, and I love math and sewing even more! Definitely had to whip out a little Pythagorean Theorem on dem triangles ;)

Some mid-creation details:











3 comments:

  1. So cute (or a-cute, your title is adorable). This is fantastic and it sounds like you have a great way to look at fashion and clothing design, with a background in math! I love the straps. Definitely looks time consuming, but so worth it!!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The straps are my favorite part as well :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed that you did this without a pattern. As usual, your work is phenomenal! And I really love the concept between this dress, girl! It's a mash-up of your two majors - geometry meets fashion. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete