Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Sweaterdipitous

This has got to be one of my most favorite creations ever. As I was putting it together (and simultaneously freaking out) my roommate was seriously concerned for my sanity.

In my weaving class this semester, our most recent assignment was to do pattern weaving (close up of the pattern at the bottom), so I decided to turn my piece of woven material into a cardigan.

The woven piece was about 2 yards long by 15 inches wide. I drafted the pattern for the cardigan myself. It has raglan sleeves, which is what gives the front panels drape. I sewed the woven panels onto the sleeve opening and side edge as if it were straight, so when worn it folds down. I truly believe that this was a serendipitous project: I drafted and sewed the cardigan without regards to the length of my woven panel, then I cut the woven piece in half and hemmed the edges. When I sewed the woven panel to the sweater pieces, it fit absolutely perfectly, without any planning! Pure serendipity.


I ordered this sweater knit from fabric.com for the cardigan.


 Here you can get a little idea of how it was constructed.

This shows some detail of the raglan sleeves. In addition to the raglan sleeves, I added cuffs/bands on the neck, sleeve edges, and bottom edge to retain shape.

A close up of the weaving.

I am going to be so sad when I don't have my weaving class next semester!

2 comments:

  1. The drape on this is beautiful - that weaving is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete