Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bean Bag Swag

So basically we have the Room of all Rooms at college this year. Starting with these spectacular bean bag chairs!

These are from a pattern I created myself.

You'll need:
1 yd. contrast fabric
2 yds main fabric (more for 45" wide fabric)
An old sheet or two
Bean bag filling (if making bean bags the same size as mine, use 1.5 bags of fill per chair)
22 in zipper (optional

Top: Cut 1 - 25" x 25" of contrast
Sides: Cut 4 - 25" x 18" of main
Bottom: Cut 2 - 25" x 16" of main
Pocket: Cut 1 - 13" x 10" of contrast
Handle: Cut 1 - 10" x 4"
(Cut same except for pocket and handle out of an old sheet for the lining bag.)

These measurements can all be adjusted depending on the size of bean bag you want.

1. Hem upper edge of pocket, press in pocket edges, center pocket on one side panel.


2. Fold handle piece in half, right sides together, sew and turn inside out. Turn ends in, pin to center of side panel. Box stitch ends.


3. For envelope opening bottom: hem one long edge of each bottom piece, and overlap pieces by about 4". Stitch, reinforcing at opening.

4. For zipper bottom: center zipper between two bottom halves.

5.  Stitch fabric together above and below zipper (such that there is an opening the length of the zipper).
6. Stitch zipper in to opening.


8. Repeat similar process, cutting same pieces for a lining bag from old sheet/old fabric. This way, the filling can be sewn shut inside a separate bag, and the cover can be taken off to wash.

9. Fill lining bag about 1/3 of way, then stuff inside of cover. (This is a two person job.)
10. Finish filling the lining bag while it is inside the bean bag cover, then sew lining bag shut. This is difficult to do with the bag full, so you may lose some beans in the process. 

Here's what they look like!


Envelope closure



Zipper closure
 Good for foot rests and lounging!

Now that I'm back at school, my blogging will be sporadic at best. I do have a pile of projects to work on though, so I'll definitely post when they're finished.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Leg Up

Finally made a pair of leggings! I've always been a little bit anti-leggings because I think they can go wrong very easily. And I'm not very comfortable just wearing leggings by themselves (enter tunic). But this fabric from JoAnns was just too good to resist!

The pattern is Burda Style's Carol Legging. The only modification was to take about 3 inches off the rise.



The ubiquitous Teen Vogue Jump/Walk picture.
Thanks to my best friend/photographer for taking these!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Llama Poms



Hello llamas!
Not really sure if the inspiration came from llamas, or if I thought of the llamas afterward, but I believe my latest (false--had this done months ago) creation is llama approved!

The idea stemmed from this necklace in Lucky magazine:
http://www.luckymag.com/shopping/stores/southwest/california/san-francisco/reliquary
To make:
2 skeins of embroidery floss for each tassel
Beads

I am realizing that this process very much resembles mitosis (name the phase!):
Start with the two side by side. Pull off about 12 in from each to use for tying.
 Cut them in half...

 Unfold and tie together at the center (okay, this is really the only part that looks like mitosis).
Then, collect all the ends, tie a band around the top, and trim the ends even. Voila!
You'll then need another piece of embroidery floss for the necklace, and some beads. I tied knots before and after the beads so they didn't move around.



Thursday, August 1, 2013

Dear Stella Party Perfect

 A few weeks ago, the lovely people at Kollabora contacted me about doing a project with Dear Stella fabric. This is what they sent me, and here's what I made!

I love how this fabric is like confetti polka dots! I felt like it needed to be the perfect party dress.

 I used a combination of Simplicity 2588 for the bodice, Simplicity 1873 for the skirt, and a little inspiration from The Party Dress Book by Mary Adams.
I made a crinoline for underneath, just to add a little extra volume. It was super easy! I just bought the crinoline netting, gathered it, and sewed it onto the bottom of a slip.

My favorite detail! If you look closely, you'll see a smattering of sequins along the bottom edge. I hand sewed gold sequins randomly for about 4-5 inches on the bottom hem. So time consuming, but so worth it!



I love how it turned out! Thanks to Kollabora and Dear Stella for the fun project!