Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Cut it out

First things first (I'm the realest): I have a confession to make. This dress was pretty heavily based on a Kate Spade Saturday dress, but not wanting to pay that price I made my own version.

That aside, it's time to toot my own horn: I love how this came out! I spent a long time getting the construction right, and I am very proud of the result.

The bodice is modified from Simplicity 1419 (took out the long dart, changed neckline, added triangle cut out) and the skirt is from Burda Style (free if you are a magazine subscriber!). I added the waistband piece. Whaddya know--making a muslin is actually worth it. Ha.

The fabric is cotton denim, and the bodice is lined in light weight chambray.


Isn't this chalkboard great? People wrote all kinds of great things on it: paying off student loans, not utilizing my college degree, spiders, that homophobia will not stop, surprises, etc. I really value collaborative art projects like this that pull out the collective consciousness of a community--we are not alone in our fears. We took these pictures after it had rained, so some of the fears have started to wash away.





Last pic = be goofy. Let's just talk for a moment about how great my hair looks here. ;)


Inside pics! I was just so proud of the construction that I wanted to share it. The skirt seams are all turned in and stitched flat, both to finish the seam and to provide decorative top stitching. The armholes are bound in me-made bias tape.


#summerofsewing



4 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job on this dress! It's beautifully sewn and is soooo pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete