Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Epicnic

I'm definitely having some grandiose visions of having a super hippie introspective summer where I just read and sew and live the dream (when I'm not doing my data analysis internship). Cue pic-nic blanket.

The cool thing about this project is that I didn't buy a single thing new to make this blanket! All of it is leftover fabric and thread from my stash and other random things.


I have less than zero patience for quilting, so rather than measuring everything out I just started cutting random sized squares of leftover fabric (they're all cotton-ish) and laying them out to achieve a more random effect. 


I was originally planning on buying batting to put in between the two layers to give it a little substance, but then my mom reminded me of this wonderful (hideous) fleece cowgirl blanket someone had gifted me so I chopped that up instead for the inner layer.


It had to be pieced together a little bit. The back layer is a map-of-the-world fabric panel I've had for ages surrounded by an old plaid shower curtain.

Then, I sandwiched the fleece between the two layers and used leftover bias tape to bind the edges.





Lastly, I tacked the layers together with leftover embroidery floss in little xes at the intersections of different fabrics.


One of my favorite parts is how the xes show through like "X Marks the Spot" on the map!



My current read is The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer--would definitely recommend. (It was actually a gift that I bought for a friend's birthday so that I could read it...no shame.)

It's summertime y'all!


1 comment:

  1. Dana, this blanket is as adorable as you are! Keep being awesome; you've inspired me to start sewing today as well c:

    ReplyDelete