A challenge to myself for Winter Break this year was to take a shot at bra making. I didn't want to mess around with cups and wires and all that business, so the simpler the better. After seeing Madalynne's post I decided to try the Bambi pattern from Ohhh Lulu.
This pattern was great! After doing a mock up in some old fabric, the only modifications I made were to add about half an inch to both the top and bottom of the cup pieces.
It bothers me how the fabric doesn't match up with the bra back, so I'll have to edit the pattern for next time.
I just used some quilting cotton, lace, and a package of picot edge lingerie elastic from JoAnn's.
The straps were cut off of an old camisole.
Overall I am very pleased with the result! A quick and satisfying sew, especially when you're stuck inside from all the snow!
This is my final project for my woven textiles class. I chose to do a technique called collapse weave, where you use two fibers, in this case a wool and a cotton. Basically, one that shrinks a lot and one that barely shrinks at all. Then, when washed, the wool felts and the cotton doesn't. The cotton is then forced to crinkle to accommodate the wool's shrinkage, giving a really unique texture to the piece.
The warp (vertical yarns) is done in a modified Fibonacci sequence. I choose to do a total of 20 purple stripes, since I would be turning 20 soon. So, the striping pattern is 1, 1, 1, 2 ,3 ,5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 34, 21, 13, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1 with 9 blue threads in between each purple stripe. Since I am a math and design double major, this piece was very representative of how I seek to combine both disciplines.
On the loom
The horizontal (weft) stripes are woven in blocks of one, two, three, five, or eight inches in random order out of the wool, cotton, and another navy blue cotton. This way, the Fibonacci sequence is again represented in the weft. I added navy blue in as well for added visual interest.
Off the loom, it was about 22" wide, and 5 yards long.
Next up was felting the piece. It took me three attempts to get the felting right. After hand washing in the tub and washing by itself in the machine, I still didn't get the "collapsed" look that I wanted. So I threw it in the washer with two large towels on high heat for extra agitation.
After washing, the piece is about 15" wide and 4.5 yards long.
The finished product! I am so incredibly proud of this piece and all that it represents. I feel lucky to have had such a fantastic instructor, Suzanne Halvorson.
I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet! My original plan was some sort of garment, but I'm afraid to cut into it and ruin it (only one shot--I can't go to the store and buy more!).