Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Cut it out

First things first (I'm the realest): I have a confession to make. This dress was pretty heavily based on a Kate Spade Saturday dress, but not wanting to pay that price I made my own version.

That aside, it's time to toot my own horn: I love how this came out! I spent a long time getting the construction right, and I am very proud of the result.

The bodice is modified from Simplicity 1419 (took out the long dart, changed neckline, added triangle cut out) and the skirt is from Burda Style (free if you are a magazine subscriber!). I added the waistband piece. Whaddya know--making a muslin is actually worth it. Ha.

The fabric is cotton denim, and the bodice is lined in light weight chambray.


Isn't this chalkboard great? People wrote all kinds of great things on it: paying off student loans, not utilizing my college degree, spiders, that homophobia will not stop, surprises, etc. I really value collaborative art projects like this that pull out the collective consciousness of a community--we are not alone in our fears. We took these pictures after it had rained, so some of the fears have started to wash away.





Last pic = be goofy. Let's just talk for a moment about how great my hair looks here. ;)


Inside pics! I was just so proud of the construction that I wanted to share it. The skirt seams are all turned in and stitched flat, both to finish the seam and to provide decorative top stitching. The armholes are bound in me-made bias tape.


#summerofsewing



Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sun stripes

A quick post today:

As usual, not wanting to spend lots of money for RTW clothes led to me making a similar version (for half the price).

Here's the dress I wanted, from Threads 4 Thought.


Using V1315 (I modified to have shorter sleeves, merged the skirt and bodice, and widened the skirt) I created my own version! The fabric was carefully sourced from Hart's Fabric.


Big sewing weekend planned--can't wait to share the results!

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Epicnic

I'm definitely having some grandiose visions of having a super hippie introspective summer where I just read and sew and live the dream (when I'm not doing my data analysis internship). Cue pic-nic blanket.

The cool thing about this project is that I didn't buy a single thing new to make this blanket! All of it is leftover fabric and thread from my stash and other random things.


I have less than zero patience for quilting, so rather than measuring everything out I just started cutting random sized squares of leftover fabric (they're all cotton-ish) and laying them out to achieve a more random effect. 


I was originally planning on buying batting to put in between the two layers to give it a little substance, but then my mom reminded me of this wonderful (hideous) fleece cowgirl blanket someone had gifted me so I chopped that up instead for the inner layer.


It had to be pieced together a little bit. The back layer is a map-of-the-world fabric panel I've had for ages surrounded by an old plaid shower curtain.

Then, I sandwiched the fleece between the two layers and used leftover bias tape to bind the edges.





Lastly, I tacked the layers together with leftover embroidery floss in little xes at the intersections of different fabrics.


One of my favorite parts is how the xes show through like "X Marks the Spot" on the map!



My current read is The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer--would definitely recommend. (It was actually a gift that I bought for a friend's birthday so that I could read it...no shame.)

It's summertime y'all!